FROM THE FIELDS- ISSUE #54
SPRING weather is slowly on its way but some of us have already started to 'clean'. Clean the home, clean the wardrobe, and eat a clean 'diet'. Healthy inspiration can come in handy with the busy spring cleaning season ahead.
FOOD AND CLEANSING- two things that can work really well together if you ask us. It is important to cleanse in order to give our digestive system a break, but it’s also important to include soluble and insoluble fibre in every meal. Kim D’Eon, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist & REAL FOOD Champion whom you've briefly met before, shares some insight on the importance of eating well + an exclusive recipe!
Kim's personal journey of natural healing led her from a career as an award-winning television host and Canadian media personality to becoming a registered holistic nutritionist and real food champion as she leads the way to living better and feeling better. CEDAR Juice & Kim D’Eon share the belief that cleansing should be about getting the garbage out and getting the good in. “We don’t want to be militant about cleansing. Its really a common sense approach to kick-starting your way back to healthy eating.” say Kim D’Eon.
HEALTHY HABITS start one step at a time. Take the first step and try Kim's recipe. It’s a great kick-starter to a healthier and happier body and mind. Feel refreshed with this simple and delicious recipe and grow from there. “Feeling is believing”, says Kim.
QUINOA CRUSTED TOFU WITH MIXED GREENS
- 3 strips or steaks Organic Non-GMO Firm Tofu (or Tempeh)
- ¼ cup Quinoa Flakes
- 1 tbsp Yogurt or Vegenaise
- 1 tsp ground Paprika
- 1 tsp ground Turmeric
- Sea Salt & Pepper- to taste.
- 2 -3 cups of Power Mixed Greens (baby kale, spinach, swiss chard, arugula, beet leaves.) *pre boxed/washed organic greens.
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin seeds- raw & organic
- ¼ cup Cucumber- washed and finely chopped
- ¼ cup Zucchini- grated or shaved.
- ¼ cup Celery- chopped.
- 1 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 tbsp Hemp hearts
- 1 tsp Lemon juice or Apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp Maple syrup (dark) or Raw Honey.
- ¼ cup Basil- washed and de-stemmed.
- ¼ cup Parsley- washed and chopped.
- Pinch of sea salt
* add filtered water to adjust to preferred consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line pan with parchment paper. Dry tofu and cut into medium thick strips or steaks. Take yogurt or vegenaise and lightly coat the tofu. In a small bowl, take quinoa flakes and spices- mix together. Take the seasoned flakes and coat the tofu.
- Wash and finely chop the celery and cucumber. With the zucchini, you can chop finely or use a tool like a peeler or mandolin to create thin slices.
- Take salad greens, pumpkin seeds and prepared veggies and toss together.
- For the dressing, use a hand blender or food processor. Start with the acid (lemon or ACV) and toss in the salt to dissolve. Then toss in your sweetener (maple syrup or honey) and blend until smooth. Add in herbs, oil and water- blend until smooth. Dress the salad and garish with hemp hearts.
NOW, are you ready to feel refreshed?